The local board of education has the responsibility of annually evaluating the performance of the superintendent according to written standards identified by the board in consultation with the superintendent.
Missouri has new requirements for educator evaluations, including superintendent evaluation that will be effective for the 2014-15 school year. The new requirements are based on the premise that improving students’ learning requires improving the practices of those teaching in classrooms and providing leadership in schools and districts.
MSBA has organized a variety of resources to help school boards meet the new requirements for superintendent evaluation.
- Understanding the Missouri Model Superintendent Evaluation, developed by MSBA, is an online video series designed to help school boards and superintendents become familiar with the requirements for educator evaluations and the Missouri Model Superintendent Evaluation. Click here for more information or to register for the online training.
- Essential Principles of Educator Evaluation, located on the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) website, describes the new requirements for all educator evaluations.
- The Missouri Model Superintendent Evaluation, also on the DESE website, provides an evaluation that meets all the new requirements. School boards are not required to use this model.
- The 2013 MSBA Spring Regional Meeting program provided an overview of the requirements and the Missouri Model Superintendent Evaluation. MSBA members may view this information at no charge.
- Performance-Based Superintendent Evaluation is an onsite MSBA workshop for the board and superintendent. The workshop focuses on evidence-based practices for board evaluation of the superintendent in the context of the new Missouri Educator Evaluation System requirements. It also addresses Missouri superintendent standards, benefit of aligning all district evaluation tools and processes, and how to use the Missouri Model Superintendent Evaluation.
For more information contact MSBA’s Leadership Development Department at (573) 445-9920 ext 329, or firstname.lastname@example.org