The MSBA Leadership Summit is ideal for all board members and aspiring board leaders. This conference is focused on enhancing leadership skills and providing the tools to assist in district improvement.
This year’s Leadership Summit features:
- General Session: Leadership Starts with Balanced Governance and Improved Board Effectiveness featuring Dr. Thomas Alsbury, Professor & Researcher, Seattle Pacific University
- Awards Luncheon celebrating Statewide Belcher Scholarship Recipient; Advanced, Master and Distinguished board member certification; and Governance Team Awards
- Delegate Assembly: Discuss draft of consolidated advocacy document and elect officers
- Recognition Banquet honoring Outstanding Boards of Education and and Keynote by Kevin Ciak, NSBA President
- Sunday Breakfast featuring MSBA Executive Director Melissa Randol and Commissioner of Education Margie Vandeven
Friday, June 2: Board President Pre-Conference
Saturday, June 3: Delegate Assembly
Be sure your district sends a delegate to participate in the Delegate Assembly, Saturday, June 3.
Delegates do not have to attend the Leadership Summit to participate, but please register.
Register through Leadership Summit Registration
Saturday, June 3: General Session
Leadership Starts with Balanced Governance and Improved Board Effectiveness
School boards are under increasing scrutiny by a public that demands high levels of board continuity and effectiveness. At the same time, newspaper accounts of “boards behaving badly” have raised questions over whether locally elected school board members are qualified and willing to fulfill their role. Learn about the standards and characteristics of high performing boards that make them more effective in modeling and supporting a culture that leads to improved student performance.
$115 includes Saturday Awards Luncheon & Sunday Breakfast
(not included in conference registration)
Banquet Ticket = $50
Guest Awards Luncheon Ticket = $30
Guest Sunday Breakfast Ticket = $30
Some session topics include
- School Board Norms: Guidelines for Success
- Getting the Most from a School Safety Assessment
- School Finance: Trust but Verify
- Assessing Balanced Governance: Improving Board Effectiveness
- Taking Leadership to the Next Level
- 2017 Legislative Update
- Parliamentary Procedure for Delegates
- Help MSBA Help Your Board
- Impact of TIF and Other Incentives
- Evidence Measures & Data Sources for Superintendent Evaluation
- School Law Updates
- MSIP & ESSA Updates
- School Boards Do Make a Difference Roundtable
General Session Speaker Dr. Thomas Alsbury
Professor & Researcher, Seattle Pacific University
Dr. Thomas Alsbury has worked for 34 years as a teacher, principal, central office administrator and professor, and has been deemed a top expert in school governance by the Associated Press, working with districts in 20 states and in 12 countries. He is the developer of Balanced Governance, the only research-based school board governance model to date, and co-editor of a 2015 book describing the new model.